Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My First Orthodox Pascha in the Church

Last year was our first Orthodox Pascha, however I was unable to attend any services as we were blessed with Ice Man being born during Holy week. Hubby attended the Pascha services on his own and was given the honor of serving for the first time in this Parish.

This year we attended all the Holy Week services. I relate Holy Week to giving birth to a child as hard work but exciting and definitely worth it. Hubby and I made the decision to have the girls stay home for the Paschal service. With it being my first Paschal service, we thought it was best for me to get an idea of how the service was before we brought all the children. We did take Ice Man as he still wakes throughout the night to nurse. He was startled a couple of times but I was able to rock him easily back to sleep.  He then woke right before communion. Hubby served and I sang in the choir.

I was blessed by being asked to make the red eggs for our Parish. I realized that I didn't get very many pictures as I was in awe the whole week. Here is a picture of a couple of eggs we brought home.



Hubby and I only got about four hours of sleep but it was well worth it. Sunday morning we had family over for an early brunch and then headed to Vespers with the children. Here are a few pictures and a video I captured of them on the way home.






There are a couple of things I want to try and remember for next year. Have all the cooking/baking and laundry done by Holy Wednesday. This year I made Pascha Cheese and Kulich but I made it at the end of the week which added to the exhaustion.

4 comments:

  1. Christ is risen! How wonderful for you to experience your first Pascha! It was our first as Orthodox and it was very special indeed. Kudos to you for making Kulich and Pascha Cheese! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christ is Risen!

    It gets easier as the years help to add to experience. Keep services the priority though and work in those recipes around them letting the kids get in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christ is Risen!

    So it looks like we switched places this year :) I had the Holy Week baby and you were able to go to service. I had this wonderful idea that I would have everything done ahead of time, but that didn't happen at all. My husband ended up running to the store just the day before Pascha so that he could fill our Pascha basket and take it to church. Fortunately, there is always next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We sort of 'missed' Pascha this year because while we began attending St. Nicholas on Palm Sunday, we were new to the church and also had some illness in the kids. Next Pascha may well end up being our first as Orthodox, because right now it looks like we're being Baptised and Chrismated on Holy Saturday next Spring.

    ReplyDelete