Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Sister

As the anniversary of my sisters death is quickly approaching I thought I would write about her. Towards the end of her life she had let herself go as she was in a depressed state. I tend to remember her that way but I want to remember her when she was happy and full of life. I want to share these memories with my children when they are old enough to understand.

I have so much to learn from my sister she was a loving and giving person. She loved everyone regardless of their flaws. She would give the shirt off her back to anyone in need. She didn't have much but she shared more than anyone I know.

A couple of months ago our priest told the following story in his homily:


A certain monk wasted his whole life in heedlessness and idleness. Then he fell gravely ill and his end drew near, but he showed no fear of death. Instead, he was merry, and prepared for his departure from the body joyfully praising and thanking God. Gathering at his bedside, the abbot and the other monks said to him, “Brother, we are witness to your inattentive life. How is it that you are so calm and happy now, when the dread hour is at hand? May our Lord Jesus Christ strengthen you, so that you can rise and explain this mystery, and we may glorify God’s greatness.” “Lifting himself up a little, the monk replied, “Reverend fathers, what you say is true. I have thoughtlessly squandered the days of my life, and a moment ago God’s angels appeared to me and read a list of all my evil deeds. “Do you admit to this?” they asked. “Everything is true,” I conceded, “but you must take into account that since I renounced the world and was tonsured, I have judged no one and held no grudges. Christ said, Judge not, that ye be not judged, and If you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. I pray that these passages be applied in my case.” No sooner had I spoken these words than the angels tore to pieces the scroll on which my transgressions were recorded. Now you know why I am please be leaving this temporal realm.” With this, the brother peacefully surrendered his soul into the Lord’s hands” (The Great Collection of the Lives of the Saints, by St. Dimitri of Rostov, March, P. 435f).

Afterwards Hubby mentioned to me how this story reminded him of my sister.

1 comment: